Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Reviews 2014: The Movies and TV Shows I Watched In 2014

Reviews 2014: Movies And TV Shows
After a one month break from writing, the I'm doing my last two posts for this year, and it is all about #Reviews2014.

These two posts will seek to review - not comprehensively but slightly - how entertainment went down in my tiny world this year.
So much did happen this year, and this is what we're going to address in these two posts.
I'll first begin with the Movies and TV Shows that caught my eye and mind this year.

...........................................................
Well, if you're not a movie/TV show freak, then this is none of your business. I also know that there is a good number of you guys who know about this stuff more than I do; I don't mind that you do know that much, so feel free to drop me a few movies/TV shows you may feel I left out on this list.
Here are the movies and TV shows that made 2014 a year worthy remembering:-

Top 5 Thriller/Action/Science Fiction Movies
1. Brick Mansions
A movie about bringing justice and serenity to a city. You feel the deep furrow created by impunity and classes in this movie. Is justice served? Well, you should know if you watched it.

2. The Purge: Anarchy
A great movie on eugenics. Guys interested in studying anthropology, classes and ethics will find this one very interesting.

3. Lucy
You know this one. It is science fiction and it is action. Some sort of heart and brain teaser. Oh, but it's all fiction...

4. Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Nice plot. A good buildup on the conflict between man and apes after an apocalyptic virus attack. (Yeah, it seems everyone is in a frenzy over the end of the world nowadays. They forget the truth though.) You know Koba and the whole story...

5. Hercules
Oh yeah, Hercules. Yes, Hercules!! :-)
6. (Bonus) 300 - Rise of the Empire 
7. (Bonus) Transformers: Age of Extinction

Top 5 Comedy Movies
1. Moms Night Out
This one made me laugh. Also, I think it was because there is an oblivious Pastor's wife in the setup. And I know you identified with most parts of the movie...

2. A Million Ways to Die in the West
Man, if laughter kills, I'd be 3 months gone. #TrueStory. Of course it was a story of romance with a western touch. The cowboyish thingy thrilled me, and I laughed. Yes, I really really laughed.

3. Tammy
You remember Identity Thief? Yes, Melissa McCarthy was back!! And as always, her sense of humor equals her weight... (Aah, don't pick up stones to throw at me priss.)
4. Let's Be Cops
Two buddies are pretending to be police officers. The rest is lots of drama...
5. 22 Jump Street
After 21 Jump Street, I wasn't going to miss this one... Schmidt and Jenko go deep undercover at a local college, and they really really know their stuff... :-)
Top 5 Real Life/Drama Movies
1. Gone Girl
A movie about "finding Amy", infidelity and revenge. 2 and a half hours, but worthy it. Deep script. Heavy poetry. Blackmail. Yeah.
2. Open Windows
The name isn't promising, it fools you to think it's fake. Again, it may actually also be a thriller/science fiction movie, but who cares? It was an amazing movie... and it really did play with my mind...
3. Blended
What thrilled me were those scenes done in Africa. Yes, right here, next door... The dances and music were exaggerated though... It is all about romance comedy. Isn't that real life? Oh well...
4. Birdman
A washed-up actor who once played
an iconic superhero must overcome
his ego and family trouble as he
mounts a Broadway play in a bid to
reclaim his past glory. (Summary by IMDB)
5. If I Stay
Life changes in an instant for young
Mia Hall after a car accident puts her
in a coma. During an out-of-body
experience, she must decide whether
to wake up and live a life far different
than she had imagined. The choice is hers if she can go on. (Summary by IMDB).
Top 5 Christian Movies
1. Noah
Okay, there was a lot of controversy and heckling on this one but the point was delivered. That's what matters.
2. Son of God
The story is told by John the apostle. It retells the life of Jesus and is an adaptation of the ten-hour TV miniseries The Bible, broadcasted by History Channel.
3. Left Behind
Nicolas Cage is starring in this apocalyptic thriller. It has a great plot an flow in it.
4. Ragamuffin
It started well and I was excited that it was the story of one Rich Mullins, but I think they lost the plot somewhere... I think.
5. God's Not Dead
A Christian college student (Shane
Harper ) finds his faith challenged by a philosophy professor who believes that God does not exist...
Top 5 Overrated Movies
1. Edge of Tomorrow
I didn't see the need to repeat a dream or hallucination a halfway right through the movie. Yaiks!!
2. Exodus: Gods and Kings
I'm planning to watch it. People who know stuff say it's overrated, so it should be. But I'll leave that to my judgment after watching it.
3. Frozen
It is actually from 2013 but I have to mention it here. I thought I'd get burned with awesomeness after watching this. I dozed. And never finished watching it.
4. Guardians of the Galaxy
Oh well, it may have been interesting to you but it didn't knock me down. And if it didn't, then it didn't. 
TV Shows that got me/us excited
1. Gotham
We are saving a city. That's what we do. (Yeah, and those are my own lines :-))... There is also something weird about the likes of Penguin in this show...
2. The Flash
Superhero fiction. Closely resembles Arrow. Who doesn't like this? Really?
3. Sleepy Hollow
It came back this year. You know the story.
4. Faking It (2014)
Romantic Comedy. Full of teens, but who cares? As it goes, I'll make my girl like it... Eventually. (None of your business also.)
5. Crisis
Everyone knows this one. If you don't, then you really don't know great and amazing stuff. The thing was discontinued. Poor America.
6. Reckless (US)
It came, swept us off our feet, then got canceled. Poor America. Utterly poor America.
7. The Strain
Three things: vampires, horror and drama. Endpoint? You still don't have to like it. You don't.
8. The Lottery
A post-apocalyptic and conspiracy thriller. Drama. Interesting.
And many more...
Note: By the way, all Android faithfuls are (partially) mourning (yeah,  we gat other options anyway) because TVTag aka GetGlue is shutting down. They had become mean, and it seems their meanness is taking them to the grave. RIP tvtag. I won't miss you that much.
Bonface Morris.

No comments:

Post a Comment